Tagline

Tagline

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

O'ahu Do's and Don'ts

1. Stay in a vacation rental.
2. Go to the Polynesian Cultural Center.
3. Skip the plate lunch and buy from a shrimp truck.
4. Join a sunset cruise.
5. Do eat at Duke’s, Hula Grill and Keo’s.
6. Hike to the top of Diamond Head Crater.



Tunnel leading to the park’s gate


If you do decide to do this, and I would encourage you to, come before 4 p.m. The park closes at 6 p.m. and it takes an hour and a half to two hours on average to get to the top (a friend of mine did it for 35 minutes but he’s fitter than most people). I made the mistake of coming in at 5:15. The park attendant warned me about the time but allowed me to give it a try.



Past the tunnel


I made it halfway to the top but I knew from my readings that there would be killer steps ahead, plus it was starting to get dark, so I turned around and made my way back.


Here’s what I missed:



A dark narrow tunnel



Killer steps



View of Waikiki from the Diamond Head summit




View of the lighthouse and the surf

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...