Tagline

Tagline

Friday, February 22, 2013

Bangkok with Gusto (Part IV)

4. Asiatique

image
With our new friend Peera (left-most)

One of the best things that happened to us in Bangkok was meeting Peera. I found him while looking for a rental car. I sent a message through aaathai.net that I needed a vehicle for 5 people the following day. Shortly after, I received a message from Peera. Request granted.

Peera was at the hotel lobby way before our agreed time. He patiently waited until we were ready. He was supposed to just introduce us to our driver and be off to the office but he decided to join us for the rest of the day, which was great because he spoke English really well (he lived in the US for more than 10 years), was full of information and was very warm and friendly.

He took us to see the Temple of the Golden Buddha

image

The filigreed Temple of the Emerald Buddha

image

The Royal Palace (This building stood out among others because of its Western style)

image

And Wat Pho

image




When we told Peera that we wanted to go to a night market, he mentioned Asiatique, which he described as the newest and nicest night market in Bangkok. We were sold. It was out of the way, however. Nice as he was, he let the driver drop us off and gave us detailed instructions on how to get back to our hotel. Here’s his number in case you want to book his services: +66818597080.

image

I was blown away by Asiatique! I am not much of a shopping person when I travel but there were just too many nice things that I couldn’t stop myself. And all the merchandise was housed in a pretty setting, with enough al fresco areas to keep my smoking parents happy. It reminded me of Odaiba in Tokyo, although the crowd was not as young.

image

image

image

And because my happy discoveries often revolve around food, I can’t not mention one here.

image

My mom had the good sense of picking an Italian place among all the eateries so she got us a table at Crostini. She and Papa ordered ahead of us because we were still busy shopping. She ordered spaghetti carbonara.

image

I made a brief stop at their table to deposit some bags and of course took a forkful from her plate. Boy, that carbonara was killer! I took another forkful and walked away for more shopping. But my mind kept wandering back to that noodle on her plate. I finally went back to the table and ordered one for myself.

image

Peera gave us two options going out of Asiatique: by cab or by boat. We took the more adventurous route. We rode the last boat out of the night market, which dropped us off at the nearest train station. Then we took two train rides back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...