Tagline

Tagline

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Kettle Restaurant: Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Mac & Four Cheese



I am a big fan of Ina Garten, otherwise known as “The Barefoot Contessa.” I’ve wanted to make her oven-fried chicken since I first read the recipe in one of her cookbooks, but I couldn’t find buttermilk anywhere. Marinating chicken in buttermilk keeps the meat tender and juicy even as it goes through the frying process.

When I read about Kettle and its buttermilk fried chicken last year through Anton’s blog, I immediately set a date with my brother for lunch so we could try out the place. The buttermilk-brined crisply crusted chicken had an ethereal crunch that is, indeed, crave-worthy, especially drizzled with gravy and honey. Just a tad more seasoning and it will be perfect.

On my recent visit with my foodie family, I discovered items that rival the chicken in terms of comfort food points.


Take this Mac & Four Cheese. This simple, back-to-basics food is turned into a gooey masterpiece by the combination of Cheddar, Gruyere, Fontina and Parmesan. Topped with bacon bits, it is at once creamy, nutty and tangy. Genius.


We also enjoyed the clam chowder soup. In fact, we liked it so much that we ordered two more after the first bowl. I usually prefer mine chunkier but no one can argue that this is good clam chowder, creamy and full of flavor. The best part is when the sourdough bread bowl has absorbed enough of the soup that you can scrape just the right amount of soup and bread with your spoon. Perfect cold weather food.


Even my youngest niece Julia is a truffle pasta lover. Much as I’d like to like Kettle’s Truffle Gorgonzola pasta, however, I found the two main flavors at odds with each other.


Jenna ordered this Angues Roastbeef Hash because she loves potatoes. The beef was tender and the chewy potatoes were addictive. I've had better versions of roast beef, however, so I can't say I'm a fan.


Joy ordered the Shimp Po'Boy, which she shared with Che. Che liked the crunch but thought it needed a little more remoulade. I didn't get to try this but I am happy to discover that the Po'Boy (a contraction of "poor boy") has an interesting history.



Kettle
5th floor East Wing
Shangri-La Plaza
Mandaluyong
Phone (632) 654-7077



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...