Tagline

Tagline

Monday, December 2, 2013

Down Under with Gusto (Part V)

Read Part I
Read Part II
Read Part III
Read Part IV

From the brochures that I picked up at the airport, I learned that there’s a free bus with commentary that goes around the city and surrounding areas. There’s also a free tram that loops around the commercial district if you didn’t want to venture far. I was hooked at the word “free”.



image

Pick up point was at Federation Square, which was a short walk from my hotel. It was chillier than Sydney so I had to hug my jacket tight.

image

At Fed Square, I saw a Hop On Hop Off bus like the one I rode in Sydney. I took this to be the free bus so I was surprised when I was asked to pay AU$35. Since there were no other buses in sight, I paid up, brushing off the idea of a free tour bus as too good to be true.

I got off at the Docklands. It was recommended by the travel guides. The guides must have been written a while back because, what was envisioned to be a bustling shopping and entertainment complex, had dwindled into a tired tourist spot with clearance sales everywhere.

image

I was starving so I parked myself at Le Cirque, a nice cafe that served good cappuccino and good food (although the serving size was bitin).

image

I ordered a cannelloni.

image

Since there was not much else to do, I decided to wait for the next bus  to Fed Square. It was then that I saw the free bus taking passengers in!

image

I had nothing else planned for the day so I walked to the Visitors’ Center at Fed Square to look at brochures. I found a tiny guide called Laneways and Arcades walking tour. I had been planning to join a paid tour of this but hadn’t booked it so I decided to do a self-guided walk instead.

image

From Fed Square, the next recommended stop was Desgraves St. I improvised a bit by taking an underground tunnel to Degraves. It was spooky but short, and there were other people passing so it wasn’t so bad.

image

What can I say about Degraves? Totally my scene! If there’s good coffee, I’m there, and Desgraves has it in abundance. Plus the atmosphere. And the cool crowd.

image

image

image

image

My walk led me to the 19th century Block Arcade, a beautiful mall with an ornate ceiling and beautiful tiled floor.

image

The guide led me to laneways lined with quaint shops and restaurants, and covered arcades with cozy, al fresco tables.

image

One of them was Hardware Street, which has tables and chairs beautifully set up outdoors.

image

I passed alleys with colorful graffiti art and antique doors. This is the real Melbourne, and I loved, loved, loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...