Tagline

Tagline

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Down Under with Gusto (Part III)

Read Part I
Read Part II

The next day, I was in full tourist mode. I bought some Aussie dollars at St. George (best rates–avoid Travelex) and took the Hop On Hop Off bus from its Circular Quay stop. Upon boarding, I was given my own red earplugs that I got to keep.

image

You plug it into a socket in front of you and you get to pick your language. Neat.

image

Note: Your ticket is valid for 24 hours so you can hop on, hop off as often as you like.

image

I chose a seat at the top deck for a better view but moved down when the sun became unbearable. I’m familiar with George St. because it’s the road I take going back to my hotel from the train and ferry stations but I didn’t realize that it was the main drag and a lengthy one too. The best shops are clustered around Queen St. You’ve got to see the Queen Victoria Building (QVB). It’s so grand you won’t think it’s a mall.

image

Of course, we drove by the Sydney Opera House, which I was saving up for my last day in Sydney.

image

The Hop On Hop Off tour covers two areas, the city center and Bondi Beach. I did half of the city tour (the other half goes to Darling Harbour, which I’ve already explored) and hopped off at Central, the main transport hub. From there, I waited for the Bondi bus and got off at the beach.

image

Bondi Beach comes to view

image

The scene reminded me of Waikiki, with bikini-clad teenagers walking around carrying their surfboards and throngs of people working on their tan. But it’s quite scenic because there are no buildings obstructing the view of the long and wide crescent-shaped beach.

image

image

I checked out the roadside cafes and restaurants and was drawn to the poached eggs at Gabby’s Café as well as the invitation of the waiter who was trying his best delivery of “magandang umaga.” We later learned that they have a Filipino kuya in the kitchen who has been with the restaurant for 15 years.

image

Some of the lovely homes in North Bondi

I soaked in the scene some more, checking out some of the souvenir shops. I hopped on to the next bus shortly after. We passed the beautiful houses at North Bondi.

image

And I’m back–the bridge comes to view once again.

Before going back to the hotel, I bought supplies at a convenience store. I discovered a coconut-filled chocolate called Bounty, which I loved. Judging by the prices, however, Sydney is not a cheap city (AU$2.5 for a Diet Coke in can, hello).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...