Tagline

Tagline

Friday, July 17, 2015

Mitsuyado Sei-Men: House of Tsukemen



I make it a point to try something random from time to time so when I arrived 30 minutes early for an appointment in Makati, I decided to swing by Jupiter St. to look for a new restaurant to try. Mitsuyado Sei-Men’s signage got me at its tagline, “House of Tsukemen.” I wondered, what is tsukemen?

When I stepped inside, I didn't expect to see the above interiors. It transported immediately to a corner of old-world Japan clustered with lantern-lit yatais that had steam rising off their kitchens. Yatais are mobile open-air food stalls that usually open at night and are carted away during the day.




The tsukemen

Tsukemen is a Japanese noodle dish where the noodles and broth are served in separate bowls. The serving style is not its only unique characteristic. Typically, tsukemen noodles, which are fat strings made of cake flour, are served cold, at which they are at their most al dente. You can also opt to have them served warm or hot. I had mine warm, and they were as chewy as I wanted them to be.

The broth of the spicy tsukemen had just enough kick to make my nose run slightly without blunting my taste buds. It was denser and heartier than ramen soup, making it perfect for dipping.

To eat, grab a hunk of noodles with your chopsticks and dip it in the broth, allowing the silken liquid to coat every string.

Searching online after my visit, I discovered Mitsuyado Sei-Men’s gyoza has been earning rave reviews, so there will certainly be another visit for me.

Mitsuyado Sei-Men
Monday to Sundays:11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
No. 22 Jupiter Street, Bel Air, Makati City
Phone 632-511-1390; 632-511-1759

Second branch:
Blue Bay Walk, EDSA Cor. Macapagal Ave. Pasay City
Phone 632-843-4329

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...